We are well into Spring which means Summer is right around the corner! This is the best time to go shopping for new brightly colored rompers, sundresses, sandals, and more. But before you go filling up your shopping cart with new Summer gear, you probably need to make room in your closet.
“I love Spring cleaning!” is something that I’ve never actually heard someone say so if I’m pretty sure it’s safe to say that you probably aren’t the biggest fan of it either. Where’s the in fun sorting through piles of clothes, reminiscing on when you wore it, or wondering why the hell you bought it? Especially when you share your closet and dresser with your guy. That’s double the pain! Since we know just how painstakingly tedious the process can be, we thought we’d help make it a more enjoyable experience for you with these tips. Relax and take notes….
First, establish four different piles: Toss It, Donate It, Sell It, or Keep It. Now, lets see how to decide on what goes where…
TOSS IT, if…
- It has several holes and tears (not the cool looking Kanye holes) the ones that you know shouldn’t be there.
- The zipper is broken, buttons are missing, etc. These are simple fixes but if you wouldn’t wear with those fixes, then you weren’t really that into it from the beginning.
- It has bleach spots, lint balls, dingy, faded or any other unattractive deformity
DONATE IT, if…
- It’s extremely too big or small. If you are dropping 10 lbs. for the Summer and you know that dress will be perfect, then it’s a keeper. Be honest with yourself, you know when something doesn’t fit properly!
- It’s not your style. Fashionistas know that you have to play with styles to see what works for you and what doesn’t. If it didn’t work, it’s time to go.
- It’s no longer age appropriate.
- If you haven’t worn it in the past 6 months. If you haven’t worn it in 6 months, you probably never will.
- It is most definitely something that is out of style. That orange fuzzy sweater was probably never in style in the first place 😉
SELL IT, if…
- It’s designer. Some think they have to keep their designer pieces just because they spent alot of money in it. But you are just blowing the money if you are no longer wearing it. Sell it and at least you can get back some of the money that you spent. Start your pricing at 75% of what you paid for it. That leaves room for negotiation and get more bang for your buck!
- If it still has the tags on it. If you bought it on a whim and never wore it, let it go.
- The tags aren’t on it but you have never worn it. It never made it out of the closet for one reason or another!
KEEP IT, if…
- You can style it at least 3 different ways. Versatility is always a plus in fashion.
- It fits nicely and makes you feel comfortable.
- Its your, freak ’em dress. You know that outfit that turns heads every time? That’s the one!
- It’s for special occasions. Special occasion dresses can get pricey. Once you have made the investment, it’s good to keep it in your closet for as long as you can. Unless you walk the red carpet all of the time, you will find that you can get alot of use out of it. And if it’s a neutral color like black, it’s even better! Simply, change up the shoes and accessories and you have a completely different look.
Relationships are a package deal so it’s only right make sure his side of the closet and drawers have room for new Spring/Summer gear too. Like I always say, “A couple that styles together, slays together!” or like a friend once told me, “Bad style has collateral damage: when he looks bad, you look bad.”
Good for you if your guy has great sense of style and no problems with letting go of some things. But for those whos’ guy might be style-challenged and refuses to let go of his yellow Cross Colors jeans, I feel for you. It can be tough to convince him, but use these tips to help him get his style and closet together…
BAEs Clean Up Tips:
- If the sock has no sole mate, throw it in the trash.
- If you wore it during your adolescent years, give it away. Bless another teenager with a “like new” Beavis & Butthead t-shirt.
- If the stains won’t come out after it has been washed, toss it.
- If its a skinny jean, burn it!
- And finally, the most important closet/dresser cleaning tip he can use and it has to do with what’s under his clothes. Whether he’s a boxers or briefs man, ill-fitting underwear with holes or worse can kill any outfit. His defense that, “No one is going to see them but you, babe” isn’t going to work! And you’re answer to that should be’ “It’s time for real man underwear, babe.” And as a matter of fact, I’d like to suggest the perfect pair for him…Tommy John. They come in an array of colors and are made of premium fabric. Plus, their fit makes room for his man parts which means no more adjusting himself 😏. Once he goes a day in a pair of Tommy Johns, he will be ready to have a burning ceremony for the undies he wasn’t willing to let go! (You’re welcome 😉).
And that’s all there is to it! Now, go pour up a glass of champagne, press play on the playlist that keeps your moving and get it done. See, Spring cleaning doesn’t have to be stressful at all! What tips would you add?
Done with your closet cleaning and ready to shop new gear? Check out Summer arrivals at Blue Labels Boutique.
Stay Fearless 💋