Remember the game, Telephone? One person tells someone a story, then it is passed on to the next person. By the time it gets to the last person, the story has completely changed. It is kind of like that with fashion. A stylist says something about fashion or makes some “style rule” and before you know it, everyone has adopted it like its true tea. Truth is…there are no rules in fashion. You make your own. But that doesn’t stop the fashion b.s. from running rampant. Thank God you have FNF to help you to decipher the goodies from the phony.
Here are 10 bullshit fashion “rules that are completely untrue.
- You can’t wear white after Labor Day. After, before, on Labor Day…it doesn’t matter. I’m not sure where this rumor got started but there is no fashion faux pas in wearing white after Labor Day.
2. Maxi dresses & skirts are for tall women only. That certainly isn’t true! It is important to make sure that it isn’t too big where it looks like you’re being swallowed up. So something slim-fitting or adjustable in the back is a small detail to compliment your silhouette. But anyone can wear it. I’m under 5ft tall and ummmm. 🤷🏽♀️
3. Socks are for tennis shoes only. Socks actually stylish with high heels and other shoes. Not just gym time.
4. Sheer is for night and evenings. Not true! Rock sheer whenever the mood hits you. Day or night!
5. Your shoes have to match your bag. Your bag actually doesn’t have to match anything. Carry what you like with whatever shoes you’re feeling at the time.
6. Certain colors are in or out of style. Just because Pantone picks their color of the year or you see alot of one color on the runway doesn’t mean the other colors are out of style.
7. Your closet has to be one style…boho, classic, grunge. Your closet should be full of all of those styles and more. Most people dress how they feel that day not because they have to always go with a certain style. Experiment away!
8. Beauty is pain. It shouldn’t be, That overtly tight dress, or shoes that are a size too small is worth the pain. Plus, clothes that fit properly look better on you.
9. Clothes have to be expensive to be “nice” or good quality. Pricey or brand name pieces doesn’t mean the item is in style or that it gonna hold up for a long time. What matters is the fabric used is sturdy, good stitching, strong zippers, etc.
10. You cant mix bright colors. Feel free to go color crazy!
There are so many “fashion rules” to be debunked but we would be here all day if all of them are addressed, Hope these help you to make fashion; fun and fearless! Remember, you make your own rules!
What’s the craziest rule you’ve heard?? Drop them in the comments…
Stay Fearless 💋